Thursday 11 December 2014

They are scared of me

Yes, I said it right. They are scared of me; and I am so happy about it. It’s not only Kejriwal, the man with broom in hand but people like me also can scare the dirty Indians.

Last Saturday on Gurgaon Rising spot-fix at IFFCO chowk with Broom in hand, I along with a team of twelve more volunteers was clearing the area around Westin hotel side-wall. I was talking to a roadside vendor asking him to raise his voice whenever some passer-by throws trash on the road. He was equally motivated and was participating in dialogues regarding how to work further and maintain the cleanliness of the place. I was all ears to him as he was the person who knew the ground realties of that place.

Meanwhile a passerby purchased a pair of socks from the adjacent vendor and threw the envelope on the road, I was observing him and in seconds he realized what I was about to say; scared, literally scared he picked up the trash and moved further throwing it in the nearby dustbin. I was happy that only one stare of mine can do wonders.

About an hour later, while we were still involved in the so called dirty work a passer-by bought a Gutkha / Supari (don’t know what it is called in English) emptied it in his mouth threw the packet on the ground and begin moving on his way. ‘Excuse me’ loudly I clamoured behind him and as he turned back and looked at me with broom and trash-picker in my hand; he quickly picked the wrapper from the ground mumbling ‘Sorry sorry sorry’ tens of times. He came to me praising the work that we volunteers were doing and promising not to litter around in future.

This post, I am not writing to praise my-self or advertising our work. But to let people know that you, even an individual can make a difference; we only have to realize our potential. You have the fresh examples of Kailash Satyarthi and Malala; if you believe it’s possible, it will definitely happen. As Mr. M.K. Gandhi has said ‘Be the change you want to see in the world’. So, pick up the broom and clean the place you want to see clean. Keep Rising.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Aman! You are a difference maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Explore PG near IFFCO Chowk offering convenience and comfort. Ideal for students and professionals, discover well-furnished accommodations with easy access. Find your perfect living space for a hassle-free lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete