Monday 12 March 2012

SCIENCE vs GOD


“Please….. Don’t be superstitious” these are the words which I had used so many times whenever I hear something strange from my parents, something which I don’t think is possible. But obviously they have their own logics and past experiences which for me, are hard to absorb.

“Is GOD real or just an outdated concept?” Number of times in my life I questioned the existence of GOD, more than that about the existence of those super natural powers. And time by time GOD gave blows to my so called logical thinking. But my recent experience jolted my scientific & logical mind completely and forced me to re-think about all this again from the scratch.

In my maternal village there is a Samadh (A temple of a famous baba, after his death he was cremated at the same place). It’s very popular among the near around villages and all the villagers have high respect for it in their hearts. The baba is famous for Deemak (Termite); villagers say that this baba has an army of termites. I had heard so many stories about the termite army from my mom, my grandmother, my uncles and aunts. Once my maternal family organized a langar (community lunch) on some occasion. Some how they forgot to offer the Prasad to the samadh, before starting the langar; and in minutes the whole food stuff was attacked by the termites. It kept increasing until my grandfather went to the Samadh to offer apology prayers.

I never believed on such stories until Feburary 2012.

I was in a small town of Haryana to attend my cousin’s marriage. The function went well and the next morning when I woke-up; all the relatives were busy in packing their stuff to move back to their normal life schedule. There was some noise in the kitchen area where my aunt (massi ji) was packing some sweet boxes as a return gift for the relatives. I moved towards the noisy area and the scene there was very shocking. The ladoo cartons were full of termites; we pulled other sweets boxes out of the kitchen, every box were attacked by the termites and that to in millions of numbers. I was astounded by the scene in-front and couldn’t believe on my eyes.

My logical thought process again asked questions, if there were termites already in the house or somewhere around? But the answer to all my questions was a NO, and if there were so then also, why they attacked only the sweets? My grandmother asked us to stay away from the sweets area and she rang up my uncle (mama ji) in my maternal village to go to Samadh to offer prayers. In the meanwhile my massi ji went to puja room for her part of prayers. It was strange but within an hour every nook and corner of the kitchen was free from termites; we could only see some of them on the floor, that too lifeless.

Again my grandmother explained that my massi ji, might have wished from the Samadh for the smooth proceedings of marriage of her daughter but she forgot to thank the Samadh after all the work went fine. The cross questioning by our generation (me & my cousins) was obvious which ultimately came to an end with only one word ‘FAITH’. If you have faith in God anything is possible.

The Termite experience was really eccentric but it altered my view towards ‘GOD – SCIENCE – FAITH’

No comments:

Post a Comment